Monday, November 22, 2010

Blythe Customization

The Blythe doll was created in 1972 (before I was born!) She wasn't very popular among children, probably because of her oversized eyes and head! She kinda looks a little creepy....As a result she was pulled from the shelves in that same year. 
In 2001 Takara started producing Blythe dolls again. By this time a Blythe had a cult following. A flickr search will easily show the amazing photo's and customizations that Blythe collectors create. 
I caught the 'blythe' bug about 3 years ago. I was hesitant to make the first purchase- they are rather pricey. But once I got one....well, it took on a life of its own. I now have 10, and Scarlet has 2. 


Blythe is so much fun to photograph, and even more fun to customize! Here is my first attempt. This was my first Blythe.


And now...


I did a re-root Red and Hot Pink streaks. I changed all the eyechips, sand matte her face, black eye shadow, removed blush, lip colour, crystal beauty spot and new eyelashes.

It was terrifying pulling her apart- but lots of fun making the changes. She is far from perfect, but pretty cute anyways :)

Scarlet now has me working on one of her dolls. I'll post pics when I finish. Hopefully it won't take as long as this one...

m.x


1 comment: