Friday, July 23, 2010

An early birthday present.....

Missy has been at me for....6 months? to get her roller skates. Roller Skates? I was excited at first (I loved roller skating) But then, someone pointed out that maybe it was a bad idea.....actually they were HORRIFIED!! Roller Skates? what? she could break her arm....or worse! So, feeling like a very bad mum, I tried to talk her out of it. But she wouldn't let up. I'm not sure where she got the idea from, or why it stuck.....but she pestered and pestered.
At around the same time that Scarlet decided she wanted skates, I had decided that I wanted to try roller derby!!?! So while she has been pestering to get skates, I have been trying to work up the courage to get myself on skates, to see if I could Do It. It was just a thought that occurred one morning, on the way to the gym. I just decided that I wanted to Derby. I wanted to do it, and more than that I wanted (or want) to have the guts, the confidence to DO IT. So, maybe out of my own desire....and trying to work out 'how' I would derby, I took Scarlet along to a social skate night, held by the Northern Brisbane Rollers. I have never laughed so much in all my life. We laughed hard. She fell over. a lot. and we laughed. And she fell....A LOT. But she was still so eager. So last week she had her first lesson. She killed it. Only fell once...and I was so proud. I was proud because that little girl has more confidence than me. At 31. I'm too scared to go for a lesson....but I'm still dreaming of derby. Scarlet didn't care about falling, or whether she looked funny....or about what people thought. She just had fun. Oh, for the confidence of a 4 (nearly 5) year old.
And after 6 months of dreaming, of asking, of begging. The little girl got her skates. She practices at every chance.


Her derby name? Scarlet Fever (thanks Mandy!!)

m.xx

1 comment:

  1. Yeh Scarlet!!! Go for it Sweetie! Marissa, you too! Good luck!
    Warm Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete